Discord has become a terrific prospect for gamers over the years. This app enables gamers to communicate, share and build a community easily. With features like free messaging, video streaming, voice chat, and so on.
But can you stream using a VR headset on Discord?
Don’t worry! If you are confused about this thing, we will help you out. This article will discuss how to stream VR on Discord and some of the best practices that you can do for VR streaming.
Let’s find out!
Can you stream VR on Discord?
You will be able to stream VR on Discord using the SteamVR app. Through it, you can share your screen on a VR headset, and the Go Live feature of Discord will be involved in the whole process.
The main aim behind creating Discord was the development of a platform that enabled gamers to build a community and interact with each other. Over the years, it has expanded, and even businesses use the platform for communication and operations worldwide.
Having said that, you can share your Virtual Reality screen with others on the same server via Discord. Gamers, business professionals, tech geeks, and others can interact easily using voice and text messaging features through this app.
The introduction of Go LIve was necessary to improve the user experience. And with the help of this feature, you and your gamer friends will be successfully able to stream VR.
For having a superior gaming experience, Discord allows the integration of screen-sharing features. With the help of this, the interaction using a virtual reality environment becomes very much possible.
How to stream VR to Discord
Streaming VR to Discord is possible when you follow some specific steps. Firstly, you need to launch the game you want to play on Steam VR, and then you need to navigate to Discord to start live streaming.
Besides, it is possible to stream only one game at a time, and you need to do that by clicking the game’s name. Streaming with sound is possible, too; you need to follow some additional steps.
To make the process seem easy, we will be breaking it down for you. All you need to do is follow them step by step.
Here are the steps you can follow to stream VR to Discord:
- Turn on your PC and launch Discord Client.
- Tap on the icon with the Circular Plus sign present on the left of the screen.
- Click on Create a Server on the window that opened.
- Add all your gamer friends to this newly created server.
- Start the SteamVR installation.
- Launch the app after installation is complete and start the game you want to share in the background.
- Navigate back to Discord and see whether the navigation panel displays the game name.
- Click on the “Stream Game Name.”
- Tap on “Stream” when the pop-up appears.
That’s the process to Stream VR on Discord. In addition, you can launch SteamVR along with your game simultaneously. But there might arise an issue in streaming then. There can malfunction or break in between streaming going on.
That is why we suggest you launch SteamVR manually before loading and streaming the game.
How can you stream VR with sound on Discord
There can be situations when audio might not work while streaming with VR on Discord. Even if you follow the steps mentioned above, you may continue to face this issue. You will notice that the audio is being played without sound output.
You don’t need to panic at all as there is an effective solution to this issue.
Here are the steps to follow to Stream VR with sound on Discord:
- Launch SteamVR before starting the game.
- Navigate to SteamVR settings and identify a tab that enables you to set audio.
- Set to VR headset audio in the settings.
- Launch the game you want to stream with audio.
- Ensure that the game starts before streaming begins on Discord.
- Lastly, select the particular game for streaming. You will see a pop-up with the notification of confirmation of streaming.
By opening the VR game from Steam VR, you may stream it to Discord. At first, need to navigate to Discord to initiate a live stream. At any instance, only one game can be streamed and for doing so, simply click each game’s title.
To make this process much more straightforward, we will be breaking down the process in the steps mentioned below:
- Download and install Discord on your PC.
- Create a particular server by clicking on the “+” icon on the left side of the window.
- Add all your game friends to the server.
- Join your friend’s server.
- Install SteamVR in your system and launch it.
- Start playing any game you like with your mates.
- Locate the name and URL of the game you are playing in server navigation.
- Select the monitor icon, which will open a new window.
- Set your preferred resolution and frame rates from the new window.
- Get a discord nitro subscription if you want high-resolution streaming.
- Tap on the Go-Live button, and a new game window will be visible on your screen.
How to stream from Oculus Quest 2 to Discord
Streaming from Oculus Quest 2 to Discord is possible by first casting the VR headset to a browser window on your PC. Then, you need to start screen sharing that window to a Discord server.
If you want, this process can be made simpler using Virtual Desktop.
Now, suppose you are new to Casting. It is projecting the things you see on the Oculus VR screen to a PC or TV, depending on which device is receiving the projection.
As previously stated, you can try two methods to stream Oculus Quest 2 to Discord. The first one is Casting, and the other one requires a Virtual desktop app.
Don’t worry; we will walk you through both approaches and clear all your confusion.
Here below are the steps to stream Oculus Quest 2 to a discord through casting:
- Launch Chrome and look for oculus Casting.
- Go to the Oculus website and sign in with your Oculus credentials. After signing in, you will be navigated to the casting page.
- Put on your Oculus headset and press the Oculus button.
- Click on the cast from the 4 options you see on the VR screen.
- Select your computer from the list.
- Launch Discord and start screen sharing on the server after ensuring that the oculus screen is casting.
If you use this method, you won’t face any problems most of the time. But there can be exceptions, and for that, you need to use third-party options like Virtual Desktop.
Here are the steps to follow using Virtual Desktop:
- Install Virtual Desktop on your PC and Oculus Quest 2.
- Input your Oculus user name into the Virtual Desktop streamer app after launching.
- Launch Virtual desktop on Oculus Quest 2 and identify the desktop window.
- Share the Oculus Casting tab on a browser with Discord to share the streaming.
How to fix the Discord Stream game not working
Several factors might cause a Discord stream to fail. You should fix the issue as soon as possible.
That said, some software might interfere with the functioning of Discord. As a result, you may have problems with game streaming. Restarting your computer will resolve this problem. When the computer is turned off, any applications operating on it will come to a halt.
How to fix VR black screen on Discord
A black screen on Discord while screen sharing is an annoying issue. But it’s not something you can’t solve.
Here are a few fixes that can you help you resolve this problem:
We’d recommend that you check to see if it’s not a one-time occurrence of a problem. The quickest approach to accomplish this is to restart Discord.
Because we don’t have access to the alternatives for closing the application, we’ll only navigate through the task manager, where you have two choices. The first is if you have access to your screen’s taskbar at the bottom.
After that, you need to left-click on it to search through the options available for the task manager. Tap on it, and it should appear on your screen.
If you don’t have access to the taskbar, use CTRL + ALT + DEL to bring it up. You will then be presented with a screen from which you may pick the task manager. Then all you have to do is close Discord and reopen it to see whether the problem has been resolved. You need to right-click the Discord process and choose End of the task.
Update your Graphics Drivers
A black screen might appear on Discord when you have outdated graphics drivers.
The remedy is simple: go to the manufacturer’s website of your GPU.
After you go there, you will be prompted to provide information about your GPU, and then you will get the most recent drivers. Check back in a few days to see whether the problem has been repaired. Also, remember that these updates must be performed regularly to ensure optimal performance on games and applications.
Clear Discord App Cache
Another way to fix this issue is by clearing the discord App cache. To do so, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Close the Discord App
- Press the Windows and R button on your keyboard, and prompt a new window.
- Type %appData%, and you will see a lot of new folders.
- Find Discord from those folders, and from it, delete the Cache, Cachecode, and GPU cache subfolders.
Sharing VR experiences among the streaming community is fun and an outstanding experience. And for streaming, Discord is one of the best options.
After reading this article, we hope you have figured out how to stream to VR on Discord. You may face a few issues in doing this, but we have covered most of them in this blog.
We hope you will be able to stream VR without any issues, and if any problem arises, do let us know.