Copy and paste not working in Chrome? Don’t worry you’ll fix it easily after going through this troubleshooting guide.
You may find it incredibly annoying if some functions on your Windows computer suddenly cease to operate. This is especially the case if you depend on these capabilities daily.
When you are unsure of the cause of an issue or how to resolve it, it is more challenging to deal with the situation at hand.
When the copy and paste capability in Chrome is no longer available, this is one of the primary sources of concern. The method of copying and pasting material is well-known to most people, but not everyone knows what to do when these instructions do not yield the expected outcomes.
Several troubleshooting techniques will be discussed in this post if the copy and paste functions on your Windows 10 computer do not work correctly. Continue reading for more information on how to fix this issue.
How To Fix Copy And Paste Options In Chrome
You can follow several methods, but first, you need to make sure that your keyboard is working correctly. If your computer is not responding to the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V, check to see if the shortcuts are functioning correctly. More information may be found in this blog post on how to fix the Windows keyboard buttons.
You can also try resetting your keyboard to its factory default settings using an external keyboard. Another possibility is that restarting your computer will be beneficial.
So, here are the steps to fix copy and paste not working in Chrome:
1. Restart Chrome
If your Chrome browser is not functioning correctly, copying and pasting files and folders from one location to another may be impossible. To resolve this issue, even when the browser appears to be in excellent working order, you must go into the Task Manager and force Chrome to start from the beginning. Nothing can be ruled out as an option in terms of finding a solution to the problem.
- To open the Task Manager window, press the shortcut keys Ctrl + Shift + Esc simultaneously on your keyboard. Chrome may be restarted by right-clicking on it in the Processes tab and selecting Restart from the pop-up menu that appears.
- After a few seconds have elapsed, you can resume using the copy and paste functions while Windows restart the Chrome browser.
2. Update And Restart Chrome
Sometimes this problem might occur when your Chrome is not installed or updated correctly. So even when copy and paste options are working in other tabs, it might not work in Chrome.
The Chrome application may require closing and reopening if the problem is limited to that particular application.
Occasionally, when copy and paste do not function properly, it is conceivable that a software defect is at fault. If an update for the app is available for Chrome through the Microsoft Store or the app’s settings menu, you should check for it. And then update the Chrome and restart to fix this problem. The following are the steps to update Google Chrome:
- Start Google Chrome on your PC and browse the web.
- More information can be found in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- To update Google Chrome, go to the drop-down menu and pick Update Google Chrome from the list. If you cannot access this button, likely, you are not running the most recent version of the software.
- From the drop-down option, select Relaunch as the action.
Hopefully, this will fix your copy and paste options on the Google Chrome tab. If this does not resolve your problem, then move on to the following solutions.
3. Clear Windows Clipboard Cache
This is another option that should be considered while fixing the copy and paste options not working issue on Google Chrome. You can try to clear up your cache on the Google clipboard to get your copy and paste buttons working again. Follow the steps below to clear the Windows clipboard cache:
- From the Start menu, select Command Prompt (Admin) from the Quick Access menu by right-clicking on the Start button.
- In the Command Prompt console, type the command listed below and click Enter to execute it.
- turn off echo | clip
- Close the Command Prompt window and verify that the copy and paste capability has been restored. However, if this does not work, restart your computer and try again.
4. Troubleshoot Keyboard
The options for copying and pasting data in Windows 10 are numerous, and you can use any of them if you so choose. The Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V keyboard shortcuts are, without a doubt, the most convenient to use in this situation. Alternatively, you may utilize the mouse on your computer to accomplish the same goal.
You should contact your keyboard manufacturer if you are experiencing difficulties copying and pasting material using keyboard shortcuts, as previously indicated. It is necessary to run the Windows keyboard troubleshooter to find and resolve issues with your computer’s keyboard settings.
- To access the Settings menu, select it from the drop-down menu.
- Next, select Update & Security from the drop-down menu to proceed with the process.
- When the Troubleshoot window pops up, select the keyboard from the Find and fix further problems area of the window that opens in the next step.
- Next, choose and click the Run the troubleshooter button on the toolbar to run the troubleshooter application.
During the troubleshooting process, keep your computer running so that the troubleshooter can look for indicators of a keyboard malfunction. Any faults discovered by the program and requiring further study will be accompanied by troubleshooting tips that will be provided.
5. Disable Third-party Clipboard Managers
Using clipboard managers in combination with clipboard applications has a number of advantages, and the two should be used in conjunction with one another whenever possible.
They can dramatically improve your copy-and-paste experience by allowing you to store several copies of the same piece of content, format text, merge multiple clips, and perform a variety of other complex activities.
These clipboard managers have the drawback of occasionally interfering with the built-in clipboard, which can be a source of confusion for specific users. Your computer’s copy and paste functions are no longer operational as a result.
It’s worth trying to close or disable any third-party clipboard applications you’re using to see if that helps remedy the issue. Using the Restart option on your computer will allow you to attempt again with the procedure.
6. Disable RAM Optimization Applications
When you copy the content, it is temporarily stored in your computer’s Random Access Memory (RAM), allowing you to access it later.
Some file cleaning programs and RAM optimization software will likely erase your clipboard data in an attempt to save space and make your PC operate more quickly in an effort to save time and make your PC run faster in an effort to save space. Some apps may erase text from the clipboard as a result of this, leaving the clipboard empty and unusable for any more content after you have copied it.
If this occurs to you, probably, the copy and paste functions on your computer are not functioning correctly. It is recommended that you force-quit any RAM boosters that are presently operating on your computer or that you adjust the parameters of any RAM boosters that are currently running on your computer to exclude the data from your computer’s clipboard from the optimization process.
7. Restart Windows Remote Desktop Clipboard
A restart of the Remote Desktop Clipboard may be required if you work with a Remote Desktop configuration and the copy and paste capabilities between the remote desktop and the host device are not operating correctly.
- The RDP Clipboard (also known as rdpclip.exe) can be located in the list of currently active processes by selecting the Processes to tab in the Windows Task Manager and searching for it. Terminating the procedure can be done by selecting it from the right-click context menu.
- Alternatively, you may select Create a new task from the File menu on the Task Manager’s menu bar to restart the procedure completely.
- In the dialog box that appears, type rdpclip.exe and then pick the option to Run as administrator from the drop-down menu that appears in the window that follows. Complete the task creation process by creating a new Task with administrator capabilities and clicking on the OK button to finish the task creation process.
- As an alternative to using the Windows key + R simultaneously to bring up the Run box, you can type C:sWindowsSystem32 into the dialog box and click OK to confirm that you wish to restart the Remote Desktop Clipboard service.
- By right-clicking on the Remote Desktop Clipboard executable file (rdpclip.exe) and selecting Execute as administrator from the context menu, you can run the Remote Desktop Clipboard as an administrator.
If your computer has been infected with malicious software, you may experience problems with the copy and paste command. Windows Defender or a reputable third-party antivirus program should be used to scan your computer for viruses and other malicious software infections.
Another tool that may be used to fix and restore defective files is the Windows System File Checker (SFC). It can also be used to avoid content duplication by copying and pasting. Hopefully, the solutions given above in this article will help you fix any issues with the copy and paste options on Google Chrome.
What is the clipboard-clearing command?
Invoke the keyboard shortcut Windows key + V. Quick tip: If there is no entry mentioned and you see a Turn on the button, you are not using the modern clipboard experience. From the top-right, click the menu (three-dotted) button. To delete an entry, use the Delete option.
What is the procedure for enabling copy and paste in Windows 10?
Select Options and select the box next to Use CTRL + SHIFT + C/V as Copy/Paste. To save this selection, click OK. It should now enable copy-paste functions in the Windows command prompt effectively.